August 2015 Events and Things-To-Do in Sedona
NOTE: To be sure your computer has loaded our CURRENT webpage with our latest information, refresh you page by hitting "F5" if you are using Windows, and on a Mac, hold down "Control" and hit "R". On an Ipad, just hit the circular arrow at the end of the address bar.
Our Weather in August in Sedona and the Verde Valley area
The average daily high temperature in August is 96 degrees Fahrenheit (34 Celsius) and our "patented" Sedona sun makes for wonderful outdoor activities. Night-time temps will drop sometime during the night to an average low of 66 degrees Fahrenheit (19 Celsius) so you may wish to havve a light jacket for the evenings while staying at our Sedona BB.
In the unlikely event that weather is inclement while you are here, just ask us to dust off our "Rainy Day Activities" List. We can find lots of exciting things for you to do anyway, including just relaxing by the fire here at Canyon Villa with a spectacular view of the Rocks right before your eyes the whole time.
For at least a 7 day Forecast, you can check out Sedona on the National Weather Service which is highly accurate right down to our zip code. You may note that the area is shown as "Big Park". This is an old mapping name of our area of Sedona and is accurate for our specific elevation, so don't let that throw you. You will be on the right page. Some of the other big internet weather sites generally lump us in with Phoenix or Flagstaff when in reality we are usually somewhere between the two. Remember that elevations are critical when looking at weather in Arizona. For the record, Phoenix is about 1600 Ft, Sedona averages 4,000, and Flagstaff around 7,200. The higher the elevation, the cooler the weather. Sedona is usually about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix (in the summer months we are up to 25 degrees cooler than Phoenix) and about 10 degrees warmer than Flagstaff. In the winter, it may freeze here sometime in the early morning hours, but NEVER during the day. (Well, except for ONE cold day in Jan, 2013 where we couldn't quite get above 32 degrees all day long.....a most unusual cold spell for us at our Sedona Bed and Breakfast.)
TIME ZONE: MOUNTAIN STANDARD - (NO Daylight Savings Time)
This means that as of 2:00 AM, March 8th, 2015, our time is:
Eastern Standard LESS (-) 3 Hours
Central Standard LESS (-) 2 Hour
Regular Mountain Standard (-1 Hour)
Pacific Standard (The same)
And as of 2:00 AM, November 2nd, 2015, our time is:
Eastern Standard LESS (-) 2 Hours
Central Standard LESS (-) 1 Hours
Pacific Standard PLUS (+) 1 Hour
Confused? Dont' be. Try this USA Regional Time Map.
Red Rock State Park Activities
Chamber of Commerce Activity Calendars
This is a comprehensive and detailed listing of daily events through the Sedona Area with so much to do while you are staying at our Sedona BB.
Here you will find just about every event going on in the Sedona area over the next couple of months. You can even search and sort for areas where you may have a particular interest such as art festivals, nature talks, etc.
ALSO, you may want to click below for an annualized list of Sedona's Signature activities and events all the way through 2016
SEDONA ANNUAL SIGNATURE EVENTS CALENDAR
Sedona Heritage Museum
Visit the Museum - 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM (closed on major holidays)
Self-Guided Tour: $5.00 Adults
Free for Children (under 13)
Audio Tour: $2.00 additional (all ages)
735 Jordan Road (3/4 mile north of Highway 89A in Uptown Sedona, Arizona) Call 928-282-7038
Click HERE for a Complete Calendar of Museum Activities throughout the month. Activites include History Walks, Arts & Crafts Far, Woodcarving classes, and lectures about area Native American history and challenges.
Expanded List of activities all over the Sedona area
- WEDNESDAYS AND SATURDAYS:
- Guided Bird Walks / Red Rock State Park / 9 AM
- FIRST FRIDAY EVENING
- Sedona Art Walk - Galleries open late--special showings and refreshments
- SATURDAYS ONLY:
- Hike to Eagles' Nest Overlook / Red Rock State Park (3 mile round trip at 10:00)
- FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS
- Sunset Hike at 6 PM at Red Rock State Park
- View the pristine petroglyphs at V-Bar-V Ranch
- Astronomy Tours--Evening Sky Tours using state of the art telescopes--by advance reservation only.
MORE THINGS YOU CAN DO ALMOST ANY DAY OF THE YEAR
See our ACTIVITIES page for even more information.
- Scheduled programs on local Natural History. Geology, and pre-historic native Sinaguan Culture. Red Rock State Park in the Red Rock Theater.
- Customized Hiking and/or climate controlled SUV Back road Tours of the Red Rock country with our preferred tour guide, Mike Krajnak, WFP, and John True of SouthWest Outside. Full day trips with Mike or John are also available to the Grand Canyon. More info about Mike, John and Southwest Outside is available at http://www.southwestoutside.com. Note: Cash or Check Only
- Grand Canyon Day Trips--we can arrange a tour for you or drive up on your own. We will help you customize your trip so that you can see the Painted Desert in addition to the Grand Canyon. Call us in advance if you are considering a tour to the Grand Canyon. Custom or private tours are available leaving directly from Canyon Villa Inn by advance reservation only.
- Verde Canyon Railroad Trip--a leisurely afternoon trip through the Verde Valley with wonderful views of Indian Ruins and crimson cliffs. A lazy 4 hour train ride. (Closed Tuesdays) Advance reservations required.
- Horseback Riding--Another unique way to experience our beautiful scenery. The M Diamond Ranch (www.mdiamondranch.com) is a working cattle ranch offering rides daily except Sunday. Great views of the Verde Valley, Jerome and San Francisco Peaks from their property. (Closed Sundays) Cowboy Cookouts available.
- Mountain Biking--rentals available from Absolute Bikes located 1 block from the inn. Mountain Biking Tours available by advance reservation.
- Hiking--We have 100 hikes in our area. You can view some of these hikes at www.greatsedonahikes.com We have additional information about hiking for you once you arrive at Canyon Villa Inn. Check out www.greatsedonahikes. com for some great photos of local hiking spots!
- Inn-Room Massages are available. (Cash or check payment preferred). Let us arrange this for you. Day Spas are also available in the area.
- Golf--We have two award winning 18 hole courses within a mile of the Inn. The Oak Creek Country Club is a stunning 27 year old Robert Trent Jones course just down the road from Canyon Villa. And the Sedona Golf Resort. is a Southwest design course just south of that. There is also a convenient 9 hole course available in the area as well at Canyon Mesa.
AND DON'T FORGET---
- You are more than welcome to bring your own wine, beer, or liquor, since we do not have a Liquor License. We have stores in our immediate area if you would like to purchase any alcohiolic beveragesr once you arrive to bring back to the inn.
- Please let us know if you would like us to have fresh flowers delivered to your room! $59.00
- If you have any dietary restrictions that you would like us to know about, just give us a call or send an email. With advance notice we'll do everything we can to meet your dietary requirements.
- Most guests flying into Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport use rental cars available at the airport. If you need a shuttle service instead of a rental car the following shuttle service to meet you at the airport and bring you directly to Canyon Villa Inn: For pricing and reservations, call Sedona Limousine and Taxi Service at 928-963-1890. Advance Reservations Required.